Monday, December 12, 2005

What do you do when they run a highway through your CBC areas?

I am in the middle of a major work project in Milwaukee right now. I don't even have any time to check the lakefront for gulls or Snowy Owls. But I did check a few of my Christmas Bird Count areas on Saturday before I left for Brew City, and I was quite surprised to find a brand-new under construction INTERSTATE HIGHWAY running through my best sparrow field, bisecting almost my entire count area!

Now, they don't plan and build interstate highways overnight, so this one has been in the works for a long time, but I didn't think construction was going to begin until 2006 at the earliest. This road literaly wiped out 3 or 4 of my best spots, and makes several other prime areas inaccessible.

C'est la Vie, I guess.

My CBC schedule (assuming I finish my work in Milwaukee) starts in earnest this Sunday. I hope to blog all of the counts I am involved with, and still have enough time to finish my Japan trip reports, and write something about my recent Florida trip as well.

No comments: