Monday, January 30, 2006

ABA credit cards.

I was just going through my mail from last week and it's a good thing I did, because I certainly don't want to miss out on my chance to get the only credit card authorized by the American Birding Association! Yes, the ABA is now offering what they call in the trade an "affinity" credit card, you can choose either a tropicbird or a hummingbird for your very own card. I don't know if this is the first time they have offered this card (probably not), but this is the first time I have received the solicitation.

The funny thing is, though, that on that same day I also got a mail solicitation from Geico Insurance offering me car insurance. The last time I renewed my ABA membership I was concerned about the possibility of getting too much junk mail, so I used an unusual version of my name: an abbreviation of my first name, with my middle initial. Picture "Dave A. Sibley" instead of "David Sibley" or "David A. Sibley." Sure enough, the Geico junk mail I got used the same abbreviation of my name that I used on my ABA membership renewal.

No comments: