Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Today Is Nauru Independence Day!!!

In honor of our Nauru Appreciation Day, I did some additional Googling and discovered that today, January 31, is actually Nauru Independence Day! Can you believe that?

I swear that I did not know January 31 was Nauru Independence Day when I declared today to be Nauru Appreciation Day. What are the odds of that happening?????? (I guess 365-to-1, but who's counting?) So now the people of Nauru have two reasons to celebrate today. Or tomorrow or yesterday, I always forget how that Date Line thing works.

Happy Birthday to Nauru, Happy Birthday to Nauru,
You're a fine little island,
With an endemic species, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in '91 when I lived in Sydney for a semester, Nauruans had the reputation as some of the richest people in the world due to the phosphate mining. They said every single Nauruan had a Rolex. Its probably not true anymore since the mining is mostly over. I was also told that they had to ship soil over from Australia to re-cover the island, because there wasn't much left but bare rock after the strip mining. I never bothered to verify any of this though.

Long live Nauru!

Birding is NOT a crime!!!! said...

Yes, long live Nauru! A chicken in every pot, and a Rolex on every arm!

I wonder if the U.S. has an ambassador to Nauru? Maybe I can get appointed..."Ambassador Binac", I like the sound of that.