Wednesday, June 28, 2006

SHOCKING UPDATE: Another Burrowing Owl seen in Illinois

There has apparently been another Burrowing Owl -- one of my nemesis birds here in Illinois -- spotted in Illinois today. OK, so it's not a Wood Stork, but remember what I wrote a few posts back:

***
The BINAC staff is headed to South Florida next week, so while we are looking at Wood Storks down there, don't be surprised if my bad karma sends one up Chicago-way.
***
We leave for Florida tomorrow. If you ask me, I think the top listers in Illinois should start paying for my trips.
UPDATE: Apparently the Burrowing Owl (found in Warren County, so I'm calling him "Warren") has been EATEN!!! I know there is a precedent for rare birds being predated but I can't remember the last time it happened to an Illinois rarity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what happened to New York State,s first Hammond's Flycatcher, it became food for a Merlin.

Birding is NOT a crime!!!! said...

Hey, was the Hammond's accepted by the state records committee?

I saw a Hammond's in Illinois a few years ago and there was a *lot* of controversy about that bird, not sure if it was ever accepted or not.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was. I'm shure it didn't hurt when the commitee chair saw it. The pictures are here: http://www.oceanwanderers.com/Empid.html