Thursday, November 24, 2005

Sayonara, turkeys!




There's nothing I like more than a two-hour bus ride from the airport, especially after a 13-hour flight. Although, to be fair, I'm the one who delayed the flight by at least 20 minutes by scaring the guy who was scared of flying off of the plane...well, he jumped off on his own, but neither I nor the flight attendants really encouraged him to stay. (Hey, you shouldn't board a plane for a 13-hour flight if you are mentally incapable of flying!) The customs and immigration procedures at Tokyo Narita airport were a breeze, I was on the bus to the hotel less than 45 minutes after landing, and I am ready to begin my Thanksgiving holiday.

I've already had my Thanksgiving turkey dinner, cranberry sauce and all, while most people back home in the States were still sleeping. My plan was to get up eary tomorrow and bird one of the nearby shrines/parks, but after about 24 hours without sleep, that may be a bit unrealistic. All I have seen so far are crows that I assume are Jungle Crows. Hopefully I will pick up a few new species tomorrow. I have four different birding excursions planned, but two of those are to the same place, so missing one morning's worth of birding won't hurt my schedule too much.

And Japan is a very different place, I'm sure I'll have more to say about that after I get some sleep.

Until then, here are a few photos above ) of Alaska I took from the plane, and one shot of the Hard Rock Tokyo:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say, if you're going up to Hakkaido to see the Japanese Crane, I know of a B&B beside the sactuary, built by the project manager of my B&B. Cranes fly right over the house.

Birding is NOT a crime!!!! said...

Hi Clare;

I wish I could have gone to see the cranes, but this was just too short of a trip. Now that I have acclimated myself to travelling in Japan, I am sure that I will go back and do a legit birding trip.