Thursday, September 29, 2005

From the field: A quick Northerly Island report

I snuck over to Northerly Island before work to do a bit of scouting for Saturday's trip. One of the great things about this site is that I can hop into the car, zip over, do about an hour of birding, and still be back home early enough to get ready to go to work. All of this right in the middle of downtown Chicago. Amazingly, it's actually easier to get there early in the day during the week (even during rush hour) than it is on the weekend, because of all of the typical Chicago weekend events that mess up traffic and parking.

The birding was decent but not great. Steve had a Nelson's Sharp-Tailed Sparrow before I got there; the best bird I saw was a Vesper Sparrow that perched out in the open several times. Also had a couple of fly-by Longspurs. Other than that, it was the expected stuff: juncos, Savannah Sparrows, flickers, Yellow-rumps, Winter Wren, sapsucker, etc etc.

One of these days I will start posting some site guides, and the guide to NI will be one of the first I'll finish.

No comments: